VACANCY: CLIMATE CHANGE & LAND-USE PLANNING SPECIALIST
BASED IN BOGOR, INDONESIA
About our organization
The World Agroforestry Centre (also known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry or ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health.
The Centre’s headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in 23 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors.
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org
About the position
Under the supervision of Ecologist, the Climate Change and Land-use Planning Specialist supports Senior Scientist in designing and implementing appropriate tools for land use planning for multiple environment services including trade-offs analysis, by focusing on the following tasks :
- Work closely with a team of ecologists, GIS, natural resource specialist, modeller and social scientists in the conceptualization, designing and conducting studies on climate change mitigation and adaptation policies and inclusive, integrated and informed land use planning for multiple environmental services such as carbon storage, watershed protection, biodiversity maintenance
- Design and implement appropriate tools for land use planning for multiple environment services including trade-offs analysis
- Collaborate with the multidisciplinary team in producing, preparing and analyzing high quality spatial and socio-economic data necessary to address informed land use planning for multiple environmental services
- Lead the team in capacity strengthening programs of NARS and local stakeholders in developing policy options for land use planning for multiple environmental services, including climate change mitigation
- Contribute to develop IPG of tools, concepts, analysis and lessons learnt from the studied, and to technical project report writings
- Project coordination area by focusing on ensuring proper project resources management (staff, assets, financial resources) to achieve project deliverables (goals and objectives), timely project deliverables (trainings, synthesis, tools, publications), proper implementation of research ethics, partnership management, project research data management
For a detailed Job Description please visit http://worldagroforestry.org/about_us/careers
- Minimum Master degree in land use and regional planning, planning, forestry or natural resource management
- Strong quantitative technical and analytical skills in land use planning, natural and social sciences
- Knowledge in Indonesian land use policies and climate change policies
- Good understanding of people-environment interaction
- Knowledge on Environmental Services and the indicators to measure them
- More than 5 years experience working as researcher in international or reputable research institutions.
- Competent and experienced in environmental, climate change and land use planning.
- Experience in working with not-for-profit organizations and government institutions.
- Well organized; able to meet deadline
- Having good command of English and Bahasa Indonesia
- Willing to learn new skills/knowledge related to the scope/content of the specified projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well in multi-cultural teams.
- Demonstrates effective written and verbal communication skills
- Conceptualizes and analyzes problems to identify key issues, underlying problems, and how they relate
- Generates creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations
- Good track record in report writing, publications
Terms of offer
The World Agroforestry Centre is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment. We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women. This is a national position and will be for an initial period of two (2) years, renewable subject to 3 (three) months probation period, assessment of performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of resources.
How to apply
Applications for the position must include:
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements and salary expectations
- A detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, fax numbers and email addresses.
All correspondence should be addressed to the Human Resources Unit, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) Southeast Asia Regional Office via email: firstname.lastname@example.org and should indicate “Application for Climate Change & Land-use Planning Specialist” on their application letters and email submissions.
Applications will be considered until November 30, 2012 or until a suitable candidate is identified and selected. Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
|TOR External - Climate Change & Land-use Planning Specialist.pdf||169.51 KB|
|World Agroforestry Centre. All Rights Reserved. Copyright & Disclaimer|